Chamber announces plans to expand facilitiesSeptember 11, 2017
NEWS RELEASE: Chamber announces plans to expand facilities
The Stephenville Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Center is excited to announce that we will be expanding our facilities to better serve our members and visitors. The Chamber has purchased the building located at 183 W. Washington, connected to our current office space. Built in 1892, the Crow Opera House building is registered as a Texas Historic Landmark.
The Chamber’s short term plan is to renovate the downstairs area to create a larger lobby for an expanded visitor center, add additional project work space, and include a conference room. Our longer term goal is to restore the upstairs portion, reflective of its historical significance, to again serve as a beautiful gathering place for cultural and tourism events.
According to the Texas Historical Commission, “The first floor of the limestone building, erected before 1892, housed the Erath County National Bank with Dr. M.S. Crow as president. His wife Mollie Jane Crow suggested the use of the top floor for cultural events. The Opera House auditorium, which held about 400 people, was the site of theatrical productions, dances, and town gatherings. Its use declined by 1920 with the rise of motion pictures. Other commercial enterprises later occupied the Romanesque style structure.”
The Law Firm of Scott Osman will remain in the building while their new office is being built at 1053 Glen Rose Highway.
To keep up with the Chamber's expansion and renovation progress, visit our website, www.stephenvilletexas.org, and follow Stephenville Chamber of Commerce on Facebook!
Photo Attached: Chamber board members, ambassadors and staff gather to celebrate the future expansion of the Stephenville Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Center facilities in the Historic Crow Opera House building on the Downtown Square.Contact:July Danley, Stephenville Chamber of Commerce President / CEOjulyd@stephenvilletexas.org, (254) 965-5313
Mark Your Calendar