Historical Interest Maps
STEPHENVILLE & ERATH COUNTY HISTORICAL INTEREST MAPS
*Maps are provided and funded by the Stephenville Study Club with contributions from the Stephenville Chamber of Commerce, City of Stephenville, and Tarleton State University. Special thanks to Study Club President Patricia Weldon for oversight of this historical map project!
Download a printable map for Stephenville HERE!
Download a printable map for Erath County HERE!
For Tarleton Campus History Tour, click HERE!
Click on the links below to learn more history about each landmark!
2: Crow House
10: Erath Arches
11: Trogdon House
18: Gallagher House
Name: Stephenville Museum Complex
Address: 525 East Washington St.
Construction Date: Many
Architect: See Individual
Restoration Date: N/A
The Stephenville Museum Complex, located at 525 E. Washington St., is made up of 6 individual museum buildings.
The John Tarleton House was constructed in 1882. It is a wood frame board and batten residence with cross gabled galvanized steel roof, insert porch, wood sashed windows resting on a pier and beam foundation of wooden posts. Historic home of John Tarleton, the founder of Tarleton State University.
The Center Grove School, constructed in 1896, is a single-story wood-framed school building with 2 large classrooms, hipped roof with galvanized steel sheer covering, horizontal wood siding, wooden double hung windows and hipped-roof front porch. It is the oldest school in Erath County.
The Stephenville Church of 1900 is a Recorded Historical Texas Landmark. It was built in 1900 by William John Wilson, a local builder and church leader. It is a single story, white painted, wood framed church building with cruciform plan, hipped roof with composition shingles, wood siding, wood windows, and a prominent octagonal steeple. It was relocated from its original site on the 200 block of N. Columbia Street when threatened by construction of First Baptist Church and the Presbyterian Church started by Rev. John William Everds.
The Berry Cottage is the oldest residence in Erath County. A Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, it was built in 1869 by J.J. Wyatt, and is a National Register Listing. The two story quarried limestone English cottage is complete with variants of gothic revival, uncommon in residential Texas, with two interior chimneys, a steeply pitched gable roof, originally detached stone kitchen, and flat roofed front porch. The yard is surrounded by pipe and wire prefabricated metal fence. Originally the home of Col. John Berry’s family from 189-1900, it has recently been restored by donations sponsored by the Stephenville Study Club.
The Oxford House, also a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, was built in 1899 by WJ Oxford, a local attorney, and originally used as a boarding house until it became a private residence after the 1920’s. It is a three story, wood framed Queen Anne style single dwelling with the third story cupola, second story balcony ground level wrap around porch, steeply pitched hipped roof, ornate spindle work trim.
The Wolfe Nursery Sign was constructed in 1965 by architect Hugh Wolfe. The enamel metal advertisement was originally at Wolfe Nursery depicting a cartoon wolf counting a handful of bank notes.
Name: Crow House
Address: 396 E. Long Street, Stephenville, Texas
Construction Date: 1892
Architectural Description: Cross gabled wood frame Queen Anne Style dwelling with cypress siding, fish scale shingles on gable ends, tall double hung windows painted blue and roofed with grey composition shingles.
Name: The Cage House
Address: 144 E Long St.
Construction Date: 1913
Architect: Siguinet + Statts of Ft. Worth, Texas
Restoration Date: N/A
Description: Two story colonial revival residence with basement and hipped roof with red brick and white painted cypress wood siding. Merchant, rancher, and banker J.H. Cage bought the property in 1876 and moved into the existing house before the Cage house was built.
The Cage House, built in 1913 by merchant, rancher, and banker J.H. Cage, is a two-story colonial revival residence with basement and hipped roof with red brick and white painted cypress wood siding. Cage bought the property in 1876 and moved into an existing house while The Cage House was under construction.
Name: Erath County Court House
NATIONAL REGISTER LISTING STATE ANTIQUITIES LANDMARK
Address: 100 W. Washington Street, Stephenville, Texas
Construction Date: 1892
Architect: J. Riely Gordon (original wood structure built 1856, destroyed by fire 1866)
Architectural Description: Three story Romanesque revival Courthouse in cruciform plan with clock tower and basement constructed of locally quarried limestone and Pecos Red Sandstone.
Additional Markers on Property of same address:
- Erath County Honor Roll: Construction Date-1950- A granite monument of Pint Texas Granite jointly erected in west corner of Courthouse Square by Erath County American Legion Post 219, Dublin, Texas and American Legion Post 240, Stephenville, Texas.
Name: Crow Opera House
REGISTERED TEXAS HISTORICAL LANDMARK
Current Name: Stephenville Chamber of Commerce
Address: 183 W. Washington, Stephenville, Texas
Construction Date: c.1891
Architect: J.J. Kane & Son
Architectural Description: Two-part commercial block with six bays and two storied quarried stone walls and hipped roof drain to rear; open space for auditorium on second floor and two commercial spaces on ground level for separate businesses, cast iron front. This building housed Erath County National Bank with Dr. M.S. Crow as President. Mrs. Crow suggested use of top floor for cultural events. It held about 400 people. It was the site of theatrical productions, dances, and town gatherings.
Name: First National Bank Building
The City of Stephenville’s first bank
Address: 198 South Belknap, Stephenville, Texas
Construction Date: 1889
Architect: J. Riely Gordon
Architectural Description: A two-part commercial block with 3 bays, 2 story walls constructed of quarried limestone in Romanesque Revival Style, having a turret on the east corner. It is the earliest of 3 structures on the Stephenville Square.
Name: Cowboy Capital Walk of Fame Plaza
Address: Downtown Plaza Area, Stephenville, Texas
Construction Date: 1988
Architectural Description: “Cowboy Capital Walk of Fame” is designed to recognize the significance of western heritage which is an integral part of Stephenville and the Surrounding area. By honoring those outstanding individuals; both local and national, who have achieved worldwide acclaim, the “Walk of Fame” seeks to promote tourism.
Name: Stephenville Public Library; Historic Name: Original Post Office
Address: 174 N. Columbia
Construction Date: 1935
Architect: J. Riely Gordon
Architectural Description: Two-story and basement poured reinforced concrete post office building in art deco style painted cream color with tan trim with flat roof that drains to northwest and south east sides.
Description: While it is now known as the Stephenville Public Library, it has not always been a library. Constructed in 1935 by J. Riely Gordon, it was originally the first Post Office in the city. The two story art deco style building is built on reinforced concrete and painted cream with tan trim and a flat roof that drains to the North West and South East sides.
Name: City Recreation Hall
Construction Date: 1938
Architect: None Listed- Works Progress Administration Dates 1936-1938
Architectural Description: Two Storied Quarried Limestone walled Gymnasium
Name: Erath Arches
Address: 500 block of W. Washington St.
Construction Date: 1936
Architect: O.V. Head
Architectural Description: Two mirror imaged quarried limestone monument, each consisting of two decorative arches that flank N. Erath Ave., at its intersection with W. Washington St., with bronze plaque sketching the life of George B. Erath. He was a protector of the Texas frontier, hero of San Jacinto, major in the Confederate army, member of the Texas Congress and Legislature. Erath County named in his honor
Description: If you find yourself at the intersection of W. Washington St. and N. Erath Ave., keep your eyes open for the historical Erath Arches. The two mirror imaged quarried limestone arches are complete with a bronze plaque sketching the life of Major George B. Erath. Protector of the Texas frontier, hero of San Jacinto, major in the Confederate Army, and a member of the Texas Congress and Legislature, Erath County was named in his honor. It is a Registered Texas Historic Landmark.
Name: Trogdon House; historic name: The Dean’s House
Address: 1500 Military Dr. (on TSU campus)
Construction Date: 1923
Architect: J. Thomas Davis
Architectural Description: Two-story, four-square residence with Mediterranean stylistic influence constructed with stone walls covered with stucco painted cream color and a hipped roof with ceramic tile covering. First occupant was J. Thomas Davis, credited with designing the house. He was the Dean of John Tarleton Agricultural College. The house was built by local and student workers at a cost of $8,000.
Description: Located on the Tarleton State University campus, the Trogdon Hour, or the Dean’s House as it is historically known, is home of the Dean of the College. It was built in 1923 by local and student workers, but credit is given to its first resident, J. Thomas Davis, for designing the house. The two-story, four-square residence features a Mediterranean stylistic influence with stone walls covered with stucco painted a cream color and a hipped roof with ceramic tile covering.
Name: West End Cemetery
Address: 100 S. Lillian St.
Construction Date: 1885
Architectural Description: cemetery comprised of geometrically shaped sections of human burials beneath stone markers surrounded on three sides by a historic stone wall.
The West End Cemetery was constructed in 1885 and is complete with geometrically shaped sections of human burials beneath stone markers. It is surrounded on three sides by a historic stone wall.
Name: W.P. Kloster Museum/Old Doc’s Soda Shop/Dublin Bottling Works
Address: 105 East Elm/State Highway 6, Dublin, Texas
Construction Date: C.1881
Architectural Description: The first Dr. Pepper bottling facility in the State of Texas
Name: William T. Miller Grist Mill
TEXAS HISTORICAL COMMISSION
Address: 120 S. Park Street, Dublin, Texas
Construction Date: 1881
Architect/Builder: Joe E. Bishop, Rockey Davis, “Old Frank” Hamilton
Architectural Description: Two Story Native stone building. Steam power was used to grind grain here until a crude oil engine was installed in 1918. The grist mill was converted to feed production after W.M. Wright and his son in law, Ted C. Robbins, purchased it in 1926.
Latitude: N. 32 05.100W
Name: Dublin Rodeo Heritage Museum
Address: 118 W. Blackjack Street, Dublin, Texas
Construction Date: 2004
Architectural Description: The Rodeo Heritage Museum in Dublin, Texas, tells the nearly forgotten story of the beginnings of modern rodeo and the cowboys and cowgirls who put on the show. The backstory of the exhibit showcases the company that supplied rodeo stock and performers to some of the world's greatest rodeos for 22 years. During the early days of professional rodeo, the biggest rodeo company in America called Dublin home. In 1937, a young cowboy from Idaho, Everett Colborn, took over the company that managed the stock and performances in New York, Boston, and Chicago. Colborn's World Championship Rodeo hosted the most famous cowboy events in the world.
Name: Dublin Historical Museum
Address: 116 W. Blackjack Street, Dublin, Texas
Description: The Dublin Historical Museum, a collection of Dublin memorabilia and history courtesy of the Dublin Historical Society, has a mission – “to preserve, present and promote the history of Dublin, Texas.” The collection includes archival photographs, a church organ, antique signs, a wooden wagon, farming implements, a Big Little book collection, an antique paper doll collection and a Veterans room. Open Daily 1-5 pm, Free Admission.
Name: Ben Hogan Museum Early Commercial Building
Address: E. Blackjack and S. Grafton, Dublin, Texas
Construction Date: 1880
Architect: Builder – Joseph E. Bishop – son-in-law of Dublin Founder A.H. and Sarah Jane Dobkins
Restoration Date: 1943
Description: Wood structure veneered/ 1895 with native stone
Name: Gallagher House
Address: 261 N. Grafton Dublin
Construction Date: 1895
Description: Two story classical revival Victorian 1907. This Victorian residence built in 1895 for W.T. Leggett, manager of the Dublin Music Company.
Name: Clairette Schoolhouse
Address: South Highway 6 Hico vicinity
Construction Date: 1876
Restoration Date: 1912
Description: One room log house (1876), Two story (1912), one story porch with Tuscan columns
Name: East End Memorial Cemetery
Address: Hwy 281 one mile north of Washington Street (200-306 Morgan Mill Rd.)
Name: Mount Olive Cemetery/Cornelius Graves
Address: 1106 S. College Farm Road, Stephenville, Texas
Construction Date: 1922
Description: Established in 1922 when several graves of African Americans were exhumed and relocated from the West End Cemetery in Stephenville (believed to be about 24 bodies). The first actual burial was Wallace Howell on May 5, 1922. The City of Stephenville began maintaining the care of this active cemetery in 1972. Cornelia Graves was born in 1875 in Dallas, Texas. She was the youngest of nine children. She taught and was principal at the school that was named to honor her. She died in 1961 in Dallas.
Name: Bluff Dale Suspension Bridge
National Register Listing/State Antiquities Landmark
Address: Berry’s Creek Road (SH10)
Construction Date: 1895
Restoration Date: 1934 Bridge was moved 1 ½ miles upstream to provide long needed crossing foe the farmers and ranchers of the area.
Description: 11” by 225 Feet. The bridge has seven cables running length on each side. The primary structure of the bridge is comprised of 9-inch pipes and 4 by 8-inch steel girders. The roadway consists primarily of 2 by 12-inch lengths of lumber. The bridge has two runners, approximately 3 feet wide each, for automobile tires which run the length of the bridge.
Name: J. F. Warnock Hardware
Address: 147 N. Greenwood St., Bluff Dale, Texas
Construction Date: 1915
Description: Brick parapet, wooden storefront, transom windows
Name: Morgan Mill Tabernacle
Address: Corner of US Hwy 281 and FM 1188
Construction Date: 1910
Latitude: N 32.23287
Longitude: W 098.10075
Description: The community of Morgan Mill, named for early settler George Bryan Morgan, traces its history to the mid-19th century. A post office was established in 1877. Several community congregations shared a brush arbor in the summer for revivals and other meetings. In 1910, the brush arbor was replaced with this permanent structure and named the Morgan Mill Tabernacle. In addition to serving the churches, the Tabernacle was used by the local school and other community organization. It remains in use as a community gathering place.
Name: W. K. Gordon Center / Thurber Smokestack
Address: 65258 Interstate 20 / 239 PR 741, Mingus, Texas
Architect: Texas Pacific Coal Mining Company
Mark Your Calendar