Director of Development Services
This is a Full-Time position under the direction of the City Manager.
Typical Duties: Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- To plan, direct, and review the activities and operations of the Community Development Division including zoning, building inspections, code enforcement, and food service inspections.
- To coordinate assigned activities with other City departments and outside agencies; and to provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the City Manager.
- Work involves performing special studies and projects as assigned by the City Manager.
- Work also involves performing various functions in different areas aimed at developing an overall working knowledge of municipal operations and procedures.
- Work is performed independently within established policies, procedures and instructions and is reviewed by City Manager through conferences, reports and results obtained.
- Conducts special studies and projects as assigned by City Manager; assists division directors in development and maintenance of special projects.
- Distribute and review zoning change applications and prepare and present staff reports.
- Distribute and review Board of Adjustment applications and prepare and present staff reports.
- Review and process all street cut permits.
- Prepare staff reports for the City Council on Planning and Zoning Commission recommendations.
- Serves as secretary to the Planning and Zoning Commission and Board of Adjustment.
- Considerable public contact with builders, contractors, and the public seeking information about zoning and code enforcement.
- Assume full management responsibility for all Community Development, department services, and activities.
- Manage the development and implementation of Development Services Department goals, objectives, policies and priorities for each assigned service area; establish, within City policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; allocate resources accordingly.
- Coordinate department activities and services with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations; provide staff assistance to the City Manager and City Council; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate the delivery of services to ensure efficiency, effectiveness and courteousness; direct, oversee and monitor work load; assign work activities, projects, and programs; administrative and supports systems, and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement ; direct the implementation of changes.
- Coordinates and continuously monitors and evaluates activities of food service inspectors.
- Select, train, motivate, and evaluate personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Review and administer City policies and procedures; prepare recommendations concerning policies and procedures for city management staff.
- Manage and participate in the development and administration of the department budget; direct the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures; implement adjustments as necessary.
- Participate with a variety of boards and commissions to plan and promote capital improvements and expanded services; attend and participate in professional groups and complaints.
- Prepare and review reports and records regarding all assigned divisions; maintain records and files for all divisional activities.
- Perform work on special projects assigned by City Manager; prepare any reports or presentations as necessary.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Must be a United States Citizen;
Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and maintain a satisfactory driving record;
Ability to communicate (read, write, and speak) effectively in the English language;
Principles and practices of organization, administration, and personnel management;
Principles and practices of budget preparation and administration;
Principles and techniques of supervision, training, and performance evaluation;
Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations;
Ability to stay abreast of trends and innovations in the areas addressed by the Development Services Department.
Established planning & inspection policies outlined by City Charter and ordinances
Experience and Training Guidelines:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is acceptable. A typical way to obtain knowledge and abilities would be:
High school diploma or GED required.
Five years of increasingly responsible experience in Development Services related operations including two years of administrative and supervisory responsibility.
Training equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major course work in business administration, public administration, or a related field.
Majority of work is performed in an office environment.
Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include the ability to walk, stand or sit for extended periods of time, carry, hold or lift up to 40 pounds, push, pull, squat or crouch, file of routine reports and documents and or drive to a variety of meetings or locations. Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for making observations; communicating with others; reading and writing; and operating assigned equipment.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, and physical demands required.
By signing this form, you acknowledge that you can perform the essential duties and functions of this position with or without accommodation.
If accommodation is required to perform the essential duties and functions of this position listed above, please list the necessary accommodation below:
The City of Stephenville is an Equal Opportunity Employer