This position is an entry level position with the greatest focus on learning and application of skills as related to area of expertise which are needed for a successful career.
The Product Engineer is responsible for supporting all technical needs within the product line including support for product design, manufacturing and the end user.
- Creates and reviews designs, drawings, DBI’s (Data Base Instructions), specifications, etc. and accomplishes work within existing systems & under supervision.
- Uses CAD and database systems and facilities to make layouts, analyze designs, evaluate equipment systems and generate new equipment designs.
- Prepares documentation, information and communications such as ECN (Engineering Change Notices), DBI (Data Base Information) and engineering specifications and ensures conformance to all policies and procedures related to engineering functions, labor reporting and systems reporting.
- Receives detailed instructions & guidance through design steps for routine projects. Must demonstrate an awareness of policies & procedures that affect specific job assignments.
- Participates as a team member & communicates information to appropriate parties at the appropriate time.
- Performs basic technical observations, analysis, and modification of simple components.
- Reads, interprets, & prepares applicable technical information & suggests design/process changes to ensure simple, functional, & cost-effective results.
- Solicits assistance from more experienced technical professionals & supervisor.
- Works with sales & service to help define customer communications.
- Is respectful of others, open to other’s viewpoints, listens effectively.
- Encourages a positive attitude and helps maintain a good department image.
- Performs relatively routine activities and tasks related to their area of focus.
- Participate in supervised shop/lab assembly or field installation or testing.
- Develops ability to recognize customer and code requirements. Begin to recognize when to consult other departmental functions.
- Prepares reports, correspondence, procedures, specifications, and technical calculations. Prepares technical data and papers for sales personnel, customers, and publications using good internal presentation and report writing skills.
- Travels occasionally to field sites to assist with product related problems, or to obtain application data.
- May assist in product cost estimates.
- May assist and check the work of drafters and designers.
- Attends appropriate industry related professional society meetings and functions to stay informed of and make good use of new technology, products, and personal development opportunities.
- May participate in product standardization activities.
- BS Degree in Engineering, Mechanical preferred. Generally, <2 years of experience in field.
- Able to operate computer systems within related field.
- Basic analytical and problem-solving skills related to field.
- Knowledge of trends & economic conditions affecting the technical field.
- Basic understanding of Engineering practices, design methods & calculations.
- Accuracy and attention to detail is important.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage priorities is important.
- Understand basics of engineering theory specific to area of specialty and/ or single product, including code and criteria requirements.
- Awareness of safety issues in design specific specialty area.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to receive constructive feedback and coaching and respond appropriately.
- Ability to communicate information effectively with peers, customers, and management, both verbally and in writing.
- Requires decreasing amount of task oversight and review during time in position.
- Demonstrate cooperation and interaction across stakeholders with similar goals, typically internal.