This is a Full-Time position working under the direction of the Finance Director, which performs a variety of general clerical duties, billing functions, and customer service functions.
This is an entry/journey level position. Incumbents initially perform the more routine duties assigned to the position under close supervision. However, as experience is gained, incumbents are expected to perform the full range of duties as assigned with increasing independence.
Typical Duties- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Type and proof read a variety of documents including general correspondence, reports, and memorandums from rough draft or verbal instruction.
- Perform a wide variety of routine clerical work, including filing and documenting information on records.
- Answer telephone and wait on the general public, providing general information on departmental and City policies and procedures as required, refer calls to appropriate department personnel.
- Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints on the phone or in person.
- Explain City policies and procedures in a tactful and effective manner.
- Effectively perform a variety of accounting functions.
- Accurately count, record, and balance cash transactions and other monies received.
- Input and retrieve data from computer system quickly and efficiently.
- Process billing for utility accounts; prepare bills for mailing; mail statement bills, prepare bank drafts for utility accounts.
- Print usage report and create work orders based on abnormally high or low usage.
- Prepare and mail late payment notices and statements; apply deposits to accounts.
- Collect, process, and issue receipts for utility payments from customers in person, through the mail and drop box, and on-line.
- Provide assistance to customers regarding billing inquiries, complaints, requests for information, and related matters. Research accounts if discrepancy exists. Prepare water, sewer, and refuse adjustments, as needed.
- Prepare work orders for connections, disconnections, transfers, and water and sewer taps. Sort and file completed and uncompleted work orders.
- Prepare notifications of returned checks and mail to customers; prepare adjustments for customer returned checks; and prepare work order to disconnect accounts for returned checks.
- Prepare payment arrangements with customers needing an extension on water bill payment; arrange for disconnection of service if promise to pay agreement is broken.
- Print list of delinquent accounts to have service disconnected; ensure that list is up-to-date before submitting for disconnection.
- Go through cut-off list after one (1) week and close out any accounts that have not paid to issue final bill.
- Run debt report and pull together accounts to send to collection agency.
- Prepare a variety of reports including, but not limited to, month-end reports.
- Prepare Sewer averaging report and update accounts.
- Deal with a high volume of work in a short period of time.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
•Must be a United States Citizen or able to legally work in the United States;
•Must have a high school diploma or GED; Additional specialized training in accounting, clerical work or a related field is desirable;
•Must have a valid Texas driver’s license, and currently have and maintain a satisfactory driving record;
•Ability to communicate (read, write, and speak) effectively in the English language with patrons of varying ages;
•Understand and follow oral and written instructions;
•Must be proficient in the operation of personal computers, peripheral office equipment such as printers, faxes, copiers, calculators and other office equipment;
•Type 45 words per minute
•Must be proficient in and have extensive experience using Microsoft Office software including Excel, Word, and Outlook
Majority of work is performed in an office setting and may be subject to ordinary risks typically found in an office environment.
This position requires the ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time in the day-to-day functions of the position. The position may also require repetitive hand movement frequently and fine coordination in typing documents using a computer. Must be able to lift, drag, hold, pull, push and carry objects weighing up to 30 pounds (such as file storage boxes), assisting other employees in the office, and moving or removing stored records. Position also requires the ability to communicate effectively, courteously, and clearly in English, verbally and in writing with staff, and the public continuously.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills and physical demands required.
By signing this form, you acknowledge that you can perform the essential duties and functions of this position with or without accommodation.
If accommodation is required to perform the essential duties and functions of this position listed above, please list the necessary accommodation below:
The City of Stephenville is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Click here to apply!